Last Month in Middle School We...
History: Created an encylcopedia of Greek mythology by retelling version of ancient Greek myths in their own words.
- Performed a short play about the trial of Socrates.
- Transformed their classroom into a museum about Ancient Egypt.
- Visited Ellis Island, the Immigration Museum, the Statue of Liberty and the Natural Science Museum.
- Explored the Smithsonian Museums, then viewed the Washington Monuments By Night during an overnight visit to Washington D.C.
Technology: Designed original video games using Scratch, a computer programming application.
Service: Sold yellow shoelaces and raised $500+ for Go4TheGoal Foundation and Pediatric Cancer.
- Orgainized a school-wide used-book sale that raised over $700 for five area charities.
- Walked for Tr. Carol's Memorial Scholarship Fund (in memory of a beloved middle school math teacher).
- Planted flowers in the HFS Butterfly Peace Garden.
Science: Participated in the Delaware Valley Regioal Science Fair, winning significant awards including the DuPont Excellence in Middle School Science Award.
- Incubated 12 chicken eggs, studied chicken embryology, and played with adorable chicks!
- Celebrated National Pi Day with discussion about how the concept was derived, and held a pie-eating contest as well!
- Culminated their study of shore ecology with a trip to Cape May to tag migratory birds and count horseshoe crabs.
- Created Glogster posters about bacterial diseases.
- Humanities: Learned American Sign Language.
- Used Edmodo to blog about novels.
- Wrote speeches to deliver at Frolic, the 8th grade graduation ceremony.
- Celebrated being chosen by the Natinal Leadership Conference to meet with other student leaders from across the US in Washington D.C.