HFS Board of Trustees
The Board of Trustees is the guardian of the school's mission. It is the principal fiduciary of the school. It has primary responsibility for strategic planning and for hiring and nurturing the Head of School. It assumes overall responsibility for the health and vitality of the school while delegating to the Head responsibility for the operation and implementation of policy.
Principles of Good Practice, Friends Council on Education
The Board must be composed of 30% Haddonfield Monthly Meeting members, 30% Friends of other Meetings/schools, and 40% (maximum) non-Friends.
Board Members 2016-2017
Drew Biehl, Board Clerk
Drew is currently serving on the Board of Trustees of Haddonfield Friends School and is a member of the Quaker Life Committee.
He is a lifelong member of Haddonfield Friends Meeting and has served as Clerk of the School Committee, Property Committee, Worship & Ministry Committee, Care of Members & Attenders (formerly Overseers) Committee and served as Meeting Clerk from 2006 – 2012.
He has a professional background in corporate consumer services and is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker for Delaware Hospice, Inc. and holds and Advanced Certification in Hospice and Palliative Care.
Drew also serves on the Board of Trustees of The Brandywiners, Ltd, a 501(c)3 non-profit arts organization in Wilmington, DE
He has a B.A. in English from Earlham College, Richmond, IN and a Master of Social Work from Widener University
Sam is a current member of the Friends Fiduciary Board.
He currently serves on the Finance Committee and is a birthright member of Moorestown Monthly Meeting.
He is a former Board of Directors member for Westtown School and Moorestown Friends School; and the Former Chairman on the Board of Directors of the Cooper University Health System.
He is semi-retired from Universal Motor Distributors, Philadelphia.
Sam attended Westfield Friends School and Moorestown Friends School; and graduated from Westtown School and the University of Delaware.
Anne is a new member of the Haddonfield Friends School Board but a longtime proponent (and beneficiary) of Friends education, having attended Westfield Friends School (Cinnaminson, NJ) and having made her career as a faculty member at the Westtown School (West Chester, PA).
She is lifelong meeting member, now with Moorestown Monthly Meeting, and an attender at Westtown Monthly Meeting.
She has served on numerous committees for Westtown School and relishes the Quaker decision-making process.
Anne holds a B.A. from Swarthmore College.
Mary Anne Gaffney
Mary Anne is the parent of an HFS alum and a member of Haddonfield Monthly Meeting. She is clerk of the finance committee and is an Associate Professor of Accounting at Temple University. Mary Anne has a BS from Rutgers, an MBA from Penn State and a Ph.D. from the University of Maryland.
Rob is a current parent who joined the HFS board at the end of the 2016-17 school year. He attended Westfield Friends School (Cinnaminson, NJ), has B.A. in Biology from Rutgers College, and holds an M.D. from UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School. He is a fellow of the American Psychiatric Association and is a Clinical Assistant Professor at Rowan University - School of Osteopathic Medicine. He is an active volunteer for Cherry Hill FC (recreational soccer) and has coached over 20 seasons for the organization.
Veronica is a new member of the HFS board and a member of Haddonfield Monthly Meeting. Veronica is also the parent of an HFS alum as well as a current student and has long been active in the life of the school. Veronica is a reference librarian and has a B.S. in Journalism from West Virginia University and a Master of Library and Information Science from Rutgers University.
Will is a past MFS parent who served on the MFS school committee and the asset committee.Will graduated from Girard College in Philadelphia and earned his BA from Ursinus College. He presently is a member of the board of Ursinus College and is serving as its Treasurer. He retired from his business, Henry Troemner LLC, in 2016. He also presently serves on the Board of Directors of the Philly Pops.
Matthew Sharp, Head of School
Ventina Hershey, Director of Finance and Operations
Board Committees: Each board committee is clerked by a trustee
- Committee on Trustees: Cultivates interest in Board service and recruits members who are most effective in accomplishing the school’s strategic goals; monitors the health, diversity, and effectiveness of the Board; plans and provides orientation and ongoing training; plans for the succession of both Board leadership and Head of School;
- Finance: Oversees the financial health of the school; helps draft relevant policies; creates, reviews, and monitors the budget; recommends tuition; manages investments, and sets priorities for all-school spending to best support the academic program and the physical plant.
- Advancement: Key charges are to encourage a climate of philanthropy in the school, beginning with the Board; to assist the administration in strategic thinking about marketing, branding, and communications; to empower all trustees in their role as active “champions” of the school. This committee’s work is a mixture of visionary planning and active participation and is comprised of two sub-committees:
- Development: Works with the Head and co-opted members of the HFS Community to implement a successful Annual Giving Campaign and periodic capital campaigns. It solicits the Board and engages trustees in cultivation and solicitation of prospective major donors.
- Marketing: Assists the administration in higher level thinking about both internal and external marketing, branding and communications. The committee works closely with the Head in research, analysis, and establishment of visionary goals.
- Enrollment Committee
- Quaker Life Committee